Too Old to Blog?

Sunday, May 29, 2005

What's in a name?

So now I've got started with a web presence, I have to come up with a reason for being here. It's not good enough just to be here and take up space. You have to have a reason for being . Very existential I don't think.

So, what's unique about my experience of the world, apart from the fact that the rest of you just exist as furniture in my world?

My name is pretty unique. And that's a pun because the meaning of my name is: unique choice. But I didn't find this out until about 5 years ago. All this time I've had to say: Yes, it is unusual. It's Irish. The name of a city that's the capital of County Clare. And it's a boy's name, but my mother, whose ancestry was Scottish, thought it was too pretty a name to waste on a boy. (Hence Jim, Andrew and Robert) Dad must have agreed, because even though it was his second name, he was happy to saddle his first born daughter with it. (People have usually got sick of the self-absorption that this speech has demonstrated by now. But for the really polite, there is more): So I am named after both my parents. My father's second name and then my mother's. Although, she was known by her second name. My father was named for his mother's brother. So really, it didn't come down the Irish side of the family anyway.

There was a site that said that my name meant island. That's pretty dull and wrong. Maybe it's the name of an island somewhere. No, I prefer the relationship to Angus, Aonghouis and hence first choice.

Good for the soul to have a neat name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home